THE GLITTERATI QUESTIONNAIRE
10 QUESTIONS FOR MICHELE EDWARDS, WIDELY KNOWN AS @MISSMICKSTER.
YOU'LL BE CHARMED, I'M SURE!
Born in Panama, raised in suburban Chicago, and now firmly planted in Los Angeles, Mick Edwards' love affair with jewellery began when her ears were pierced when she was one day old. Aside from the occasional minutes in an MRI, she hasn’t been without jewellery since.
After satisfying but false alarm careers in film (including an early stint as Cyndi Lauper’s assistant,) interior design (at Ralph Lauren,) magazine editing (at a fashion magazine owned by one Larry Flint,) she found her way back to her truth and founded MissMickster, not looking back since.
Mick sells fine vintage jewels with a focus on charms spanning antique to one-of-a-kind contemporary - her humour, personal style and attention to detail shine throughout her inventory. Regular price-point sales grouping charms ranging $100 to $2'000, combined with humour, political commentary and her hilarious nephew make her Instagram feed a must-follow!
Mick lives with her screenwriter husband in a nest emptied of two sons. She is also well-known for her Friday night charcuterie-paloozas.
1. WHO OR WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
I’ve had the same best friend since I was 11—Jill Lederman—and there isn’t a day where she doesn’t just knock my socks off. She’s smart she’s funny she knows me better than I know myself. And she walks through the world like it was made for her. I love her even though she wears silver. And my mom, but she’s a gimme.
2. WHAT IS YOUR IDEA OF LUXURY?
Happiness. It’s so elusive, but when you capture it—for a moment, for a day, for a year, for a lifetime—it makes everything better. Everything you touch, or taste, whatever, is better, and you enjoy it more.
3. WHICH JEWELER OR WATCHMAKER DO YOU MOST ADMIRE, WHY?
I love vintage Boucheron. The workmanship and the design really resonate with me. Also, you don’t see it coming and going on everyone.
4. IN YOUR NEXT LIFE YOU ARE A JEWEL OR OBJECT, WHAT ARE YOU, WHY?
No surprise here, I’m a bracelet. Of a nice substantial thickness. I’ll get to stay close and be warm. And—hopefully—bring pleasure, as my bracelets do for me. In fact, in a perfect reincarnation, I’d be a stack; 18 karat, and French for days.
5. SET A DINNER TABLE FOR 6: WHICH 5 INDUSTRY PEOPLE WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE YOUR TABLE WITH?
1) Aldo Cipullo, because I’d love to hear details on how his designs made a seismic shift in the brand of Cartier Paris from the NYC satellite. 2) Lauren Harwell Godfrey, because she’s one of the few current jewellery designers whose work takes my breath away. 3) Mr. Harris, who was my mother’s jeweller of choice, and who used to hand a little me a tray of charms to play with while my mother looked at more “important” jewellery. I’d love to let him know what grew from the seeds he planted. 4) Charles Revson, to ask how/why he made the deal with Cartier and Aldo Cipullo that brought the Love bracelet to middle-American women. 5) And Marla Aaron, because her success story fascinates me. It’s hard to create an enduring brand these days, and she has. And I love that her success is tied to her passion—she loves what she does.
6. YOUR DREAM JOB IT WEREN'T THIS ONE
I’d love to be a librarian, just for the access to great writing. I just adore books. And it’d make it easier to find a ton of jewellery books.
7. YOUR GREATEST JEWELLERY/WATCH MEMORY/EXPERIENCE TO DATE?
It’s not so much one as my recurring experience: I’m continually buying jewellery that’s beautiful in and of itself, only to later find it’s marked Cartier or Tiffany. My friends just roll their eyes. I say, don’t hate the player…
8. YOUR FAVOURITE GEMSTONE?
Sapphire. It’s like wearing a piece of the ocean.
9. YOUR MOTTO FOR PROFESSIONAL SUCCESS?
Follow that passion, not the trend.
10. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE STARTING OUT IN THE INDUSTRY?
Be honest. Be dependable. And know what you want. If you know your aesthetic, pieces that support it will find you.
You can find all the wit and charm on Instagram @missmickster